uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cas Editor build script
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 15:27:03 GMT
>> You changed the build.xml file to copy the org.apache.uima.runtime
>> from
>> ${eclipseLocation}/plugins instead from the uimaj-ep-runtime project.
>> This change does not help, because the build already
>> looks at ${eclipseLocation}/plugins which are necessary for the
>> build.
>> The build will work without copying it. Here is the story behind it.
>> The question a while ago was how we can handle the dependence
>> on the runtime plugin. My first solution to this was that we just
>> copy it
>> over from the uimaj-ep-runtime project. But this does not worked for
>> tagging the release and  building the Cas Editor from the source
>> package.
>> Then I extended the build script to not necessarily copy the runtime
>> plugin from the uimaj-ep-runtime project, but if it exists. The build
>> then works only
>> if the runtime is only located at ${eclipseLocation}/plugins. If
>> both ways
>> of getting the runtime plugin fail the build is halted and an error
>> message is printed to the console.
>>
>> Do you think now we should only get the runtime plugin
>> from ${eclipseLocation}/plugins ?
> I think so. Getting it from uimaj-ep-runtime project can't work for
> extracting the
> CasEditor for a tagged release. If the copying from $
> {eclipseLocation}/plugins
> isn't necessary we can remove this step. Agreed?

Ok, I committed it already.

> For all jars we ship, we have to set the correct manifest. So maybe
> it will be easier to package the
> CasEditor plugin as jar and add to this jar the correct manifest -
> seems to be easier right :-)
> But this is just my point of view. Maybe there is no issue with such
> jars inside eclipse plugins.

I already planned to ship the plugin as jar file instead of the
folder. There are other good
reasons to do this. I encountered problems with unzipping the Cas
Editor zip file in the
windows desktop folder because of too long paths.
This resulted in a strange error message of the unzip tool.

I just have to find out how to tell the build to package it as a jar
plugin.

Jörn