uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Any objections to classifying UIMA-AS as 5D002?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:00:58 GMT
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> Thilo Goetz wrote:
>>> Since I haven't the foggiest what that means, I don't
>>> have an opinion.
>> The fog may lift after you read this page:
>> http://apache.org/dev/crypto.html
>
> Not much.  We're just saying that our software is using
> encryption and we're allowed to export it, right?
Not even that much.  We're saying our software is using **and including
in our distribution** other software that was (for whatever reason)
classified as 5D002. In our case, that is ActiveMQ.  ActiveMQ, in turn
is classified as such because of things it includes in its distribution
which were classified as 5D002.  etc.

No *use* of encryption is implied....

> Are
> there really any countries where "importing" such sw is
> illegal?  wassenaar.org doesn't really help (me).  So
> no, still pretty foggy.
I haven't looked into this...

> Anyway, it really doesn't matter.  AIUI, the JVM is also
> ECCN 5D002 classified, so none of our sw runs without
> some such code.
True, but we have not been (previously) including these things in our
distributions - but rather expecting the user to obtain them elsewhere.

-Marshall