uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Eddie Epstein" <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UIMA-AS and Export regulation 5D002
Date Sun, 01 Jun 2008 14:20:07 GMT
> This will not affect releases of the core UIMA.  In addition, we can avoid
> this by changing the release process to not distribute ActiveMQ (or any
> other 5D002 component), and instead have some kind of install process that
> (a) obtained these components from (say) the maven repositories, and (b)
> applied the patches needed (we needed to patch some things in ActiveMQ to
> fix bugs we reported).
>
> I think this might be preferable, but perhaps I'm overreacting to the
> prospect of tagging UIMA-AS with the 5D002 designation.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/ shows that many popular Apache
projects are tagged 5D002. Given the inconvenience of requiring every user
to do additional downloads and deal with patching some HTTP related jars in
ActiveMQ, staying with a complete SDK package for UIMA AS seems like the
right choice. If this presents a real problem for some users we can create
alternatives later.

Eddie