uima-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Eddie Epstein" <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: [jira] Closed: (UIMA-1067) Remove char heap/ref heap in StringHeap of the CAS
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 16:05:01 GMT
Thilo,

Just tested this change with the JNI interface to uimacpp and it works fine.

Eddie


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thilo Goetz (JIRA) <uima-dev@incubator.apache.org>
Date: Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Subject: [jira] Closed: (UIMA-1067) Remove char heap/ref heap in StringHeap
of the CAS
To: uima-dev@incubator.apache.org



    [
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-1067?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel]

Thilo Goetz closed UIMA-1067.
-----------------------------

   Resolution: Fixed

Fixed, all unit tests pass.  Please test this change if you use (binary)
serialization.  It should work the same as before, I haven't changed the
serialization format in any way.

> Remove char heap/ref heap in StringHeap of the CAS
> --------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: UIMA-1067
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-1067
>             Project: UIMA
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Core Java Framework
>    Affects Versions: 2.2.2
>            Reporter: Thilo Goetz
>            Assignee: Thilo Goetz
>             Fix For: 2.3
>
>
> The StringHeap class provides two ways to store strings: either as Java
strings, or by copying characters onto a character heap.  The second option
is only used for deserialization from a binary CAS.  However, even if not
used, this capability means a very significant memory overhead.  To
demonstrate this, I ran the following experiment.  As analysis engine, I
used our sandbox POS tagger.  It sets just one string feature on each token.
 As text, I used a 2.4MB input file (2x moby.txt).  To run this in IBM Java
1.5.0_7 (which happens to be the JVM I'm interested in) you need to specify
-Xmx135M.  I checked 5MB increments.  The I patched the StringHeap
implementation to work without the additional book keeping overhead and ran
the experiment again.  I was then able to run with -Xmx115M.  This
represents a very significant gain, particularly given the fact that I ran
so little analysis (only tokens and sentences are produced, and only a
single string-valued feature set).  The new code also ran a tiny bit faster,
but not much.  One might see more improvement for analysis that is not as
compute intensive as the Tagger.
> The challenge is to make sure that the serialization code still works
after this change.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message