uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Adam Lally" <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Considering some re-org of SVN
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2008 01:22:54 GMT
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:
> We currently have the following "releases" done or being done or planned:
>
> 1 - main uima base (released 2.2.2-incubating)
> 1a - main uima "hot fix" fp1 (out for a vote)
> 2 - uima-as (it was not ready when the base was, and is just now out for a
> vote) <note: this component has a 5D002 export classification>
> 3 - uima - add-ons (annotators plus the simple server)  (released,
> 2.2.2-incubating)
> 4 - cas editor (about to go out for a vote)
> 5 - C++ (soon to go for a vote)

Is it possible to have a single release (with a single version number)
that could have multiple different binary packages (Java framework,
C++ framework, async scaleout, tools, etc.), where all the parts get
released and voted on at the same time?  There could be just a single
source distribution, and then various binaries.  This might make
things less fragmented and less confusing - for us, the IPMC, and our
users.

> One thing I would like to see at some point going forward is not
> up-versioning our Jars when they don't change from release to release.  For
> instance, when we release uima-base, it includes the jvinci jars - which
> haven't been changed recently (I may be wrong here...), but it would be nice
> to have that "stability" reflected in the release.  I see that Eclipse often
> does this in their releases.

Do you mean not up-versioning the Maven artifacts?  We don't have
version numbers in the jar file names themselves (at least not yet).
Maybe this fits with my suggestion above - a single release, but with
the different jars (or other kinds of parts) marked with appropriate
version numbers.

> Likewise, it would be good to have the uima-as release, which is made to
> "depend" on a particular base uima release, just include those jars (from
> Maven, for instance) when creating the distributable "bin" artifact.  (We
> didn't do that for this last release because at the time we did the build
> process, uima 2.2.2-incubating wasn't "out" yet).

Hmmm... would you also do that for the C++ framework too, and the
tools, etc.?  Instead, how about an "everything" package that includes
all the stuff?

  -Adam