uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject [VOTE] [CANCEL] Accept Cas Viewer Eclipse Plugin for inclusion in the Sandbox
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:17:24 GMT
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> -0 at this time
>
> We had no discussions on this.  We have no plans how to merge
> the CAS editor and the CAS viewer.  There is quite a lot of
> code there, and it is hardly documented.  What are Tong's
> plans with this when it becomes part of Apache UIMA?  Will he
> continue developing it?  Will he work with Joern on the CAS
> Editor?
>
> Why didn't all of the committers know a software grant
> was in the works?  We'll never graduate out of the incubator
> if we don't learn to do things the Apache way.  Having mentors
> that are awol most of the time doesn't help either, but we
> really should know better than this by now ourselves.
>
> The only reason I'm not voting -1 is because Joern didn't.
> I hope he has some plan to make this work.
Good points.  I think some of us messed up the process here, so, let's
cancel this vote, and start over...

Part of starting over will be to acknowledge and document some off-list
discussions about this and why they started off-list, and summarize
these on the dev-list.  Another part of this will be to discuss the
proposed contribution, how it fits or doesn't with the existing Cas
Editor, what might be the possibilities for integration, and, in
general, what the way forward might look like, over the longer term.

Finally, assuming the discussion proceeds to a point where it makes some
sense to have a vote, we will re-do a vote.

-Marshall