uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Eddie Epstein" <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [DISCUSS] Accept Cas Viewer Eclipse Plugin for inclusion in the Sandbox
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:46:26 GMT

> Sure this is possible, why should we do this ?

There are many examples of different editors for the same content. In UIMA,
the annotation viewer and the Cas visual debugger have different features
for viewing a Cas. That's not an answer in this particular case, just a
general comment that there are often good reasons for having more than one.

The Cas Editor shows nearly the same information as the Cas Viewer
> does. I think it would be confusing to have two different editors to show
> a CAS file. If there is something important missing in the Cas Editor, it
> can be added, just point it out.

There are many features in the Viewer based on the above mentioned tools
plus requirements from internal users. There was an intention to put it on
Apache well over a year ago, see
http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/uima-integrated-toolset.html, but that did not
happen for various reasons, mainly lack of bandwidth.

We can make a list of Viewer features not in the Editor.

> It is not a big deal to create a plugin which contains the viewing an
> editing part
> of the Cas Editor. This plugin will then expose an API to open a CAS object
> in
> the editor. We can then use this in the Cas Editor RCP and together with
> a uima development plugin inside an eclipse instance.
>
> Please explain what is the benefit from having the Cas Viewer instead of
> changing the Cas Editor.

It could turn out that a good read-write interface is different enough from
a good read-only interface to keep them separate. On the other hand, there
should be common components that could be used for both. More discussion
needed.

Eddie