uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Eddie Epstein" <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Delta CAS
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:54:11 GMT
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:

> You don't want to allocate a max heap size of 500M just because
> you may need one that big.  You don't even want to allocate 10M
> ahead of time because if you have many small documents, you can
> do more parallel processing.  So no, I can't specify a large enough
> heap at start-up and yes, the heap most certainly has to shrink
> on CAS reset.

Sounds like your scenario has multiple threads, each with at least one CAS,
processing a mixed size of documents. Either there is enough Java heap space
to process multiple large documents at the same time or not. Pre-allocating
the CAS heap space and not letting them grow enables soft processing
failures of large documents rather than the unfortunate failure of the
entire JVM.

Can you say more about the scenario(s) we are optimizing for?