uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release uimacpp-2.2.2-02 as uimacpp-2.2.2-incubating
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 13:47:52 GMT
Eddie Epstein wrote:
> Thilo,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. Comments and question below...
>
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Thilo Goetz <twgoetz@gmx.de> wrote:
>> I noticed the following:
>>
>> - The NOTICE files say "Apache UIMACPP".  In the sandbox
>>  releases, we just say "Apache UIMA".  Not sure we should
>>  say Apache UIMACPP, since that's not really a project
>>  name?
>
> Good point.
>
>> - The src distribution says that it includes the ICU, both
>>  in NOTICE and LICENSE.  However, the ICU is not part of
>>  the src distribution (it is of the binary distribution).
>>  We should probably have two different NOTICE/LICENSE files,
>>  for the binary and src distributions.
>
> Will do.
>
>> - I'm unclear on the use of the APR in UIMACPP.  I see APR
>>  headers in the UIMACPP binary distribution.  The APR NOTICE
>>  file contains several acknowledgments that should be in
>>  the UIMACPP NOTICE file *if* UIMACPP uses APR.
>
> I can't find instructions to that effect. Can you please give me a pointer?

Hm, recent discussions on legal-discuss, for example here:
http://markmail.org/message/qzvx2yb6msmo23kr

Basically, the notice file needs to contain all required
attributions.  If the notice file of APR contains an
attribution, and we're shipping APR, our notice file needs
to contain that attribution, because we're shipping the
code that made the APR folks put those statements into
their notice file in the first place.  We can trust APR
to get the attributions right, but since we're not shipping
the APR notice file, we need to copy the attributions over
to our notice file, so they don't get lost.  Does that make
sense?

If we're shipping only parts of APR, and we're sure we're
ommitting those things that required those attributions,
we can leave them out of our notice file.  However, that
way seems unnecessarily brittle.  Just copy over the stuff
from the APR notice file, and remember to do this every
time you update your APR version :-)

>> - include/xercesc/util/LogicalPath.c doesn't include a license
>>  header, which is hardly our fault :-).  Somebody might want
>>  to tell the Xerces folks...
>>
>> - minor: examples/data/docforsegmenter.xcas contains a
>>  license header, examples/data/docforsegmenter.xmi
>>  doesn't.  Any reason?
>
> Nope, will fix.
>
>> The bit about the ICU notice should be fixed before we take
>> this to the incubator, I think.
>>
>> --Thilo
>
> molte grazie,
> Eddie