uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Tong Fin" <tong....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cas Viewer discussion
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:16:28 GMT
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Adam Lally <alally@alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Tong Fin <tong.fin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The approach taken by the CAS Viewer is not new. The GUI design of the
> CAS
> > Viewer is based on "multiple-page form editor" like plug-in/manifest
> editor.
> > In CAS Viewer, each page corresponds to each CAS view (sofa). In each
> page
> > (or CAS view), I use "sash form", "master/details block", and "sections"
> > represent/separate the logical structure of the CAS and to show the
> > relationship and interaction between parts. For example, when user
> selects
> > some "type" in the "CAS Types" section, the annotations of that selected
> > type will be highlighted in the "Document" section.
> > These sections are very related with each other. I don't see much benefit
> > from moving from "section" to "view". If we have "multiple-view"
> > (multiple-sofa) in the CAS, the situation becomes more complicated.
> >

> Okay, from a real-estate perspective, I guess there is not that much
> difference between the two approaches.  I think the main point of
> having a perspective with multiple views or editors is exactly to
> support integration of different components (views and editors).  That
> seems to be exactly the situation that we're in now with the CAS
> Viewer and CAS Editor.  Wouldn't it be easier to mesh the different
> parts of the Viewer and Editor if they were separate views/editors?

About "Perspective", I look at the Eclipse's User Guideline at:
    http://wiki.eclipse.org/User_Interface_Guidelines
The recommendation is to think "carefully" before creating a "new"
perspective.

*Guideline 8.1
*Create a new perspective type for long lived tasks, which involve the
performance of smaller, non-modal tasks.

We need to think about how users will use CAS Viewer and CAS Editor. My
thinking is that they will use the CAS Viewer when they are developing or
debugging their Java codes which are in Java or Debug perspective. The time
they spent with the CAS Viewer is "short" (a "short task") so it may not a
good idea to have the CAS Viewer in its own perspective.

Another suggestion from the Guideline is that, before switch to the new
perspective, always ask the user which can create an extra overhead.
*Guideline 8.7*
A new perspective should be opened only if the user explicitly states a
desire to do so. In making this statement, the user agrees to leave their
old context, and create a new one.

For the CAS Editor, editing a CAS is a tedious operation that can take long
time, for example, when users try to create "gold standard" CAS files. It
may make sense to have it own perspective for the CAS Editor.

-- Tong