uima-dev mailing list archives

From "Tong Fin" <tong....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cas Viewer discussion
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:07:25 GMT
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Jörn Kottmann <kottmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't mean that.
>> From the end-user's point of view, it is a good idea for users to "see"
>> only
>> one tool (like the way users edit the UIMA-AS Deployment Descriptor).
>> Under
>> the cover, it may switch to View mode or Edit mode according to some
>> preference or setting (or dynamically switch).
>> The question here is what is the UI of View mode and Edit mode. That is
>> the
>> subject of the discussion.
>>

> Viewing a CAS is much more complicated than viewing an xml file in
> a structured editor. There are problems which can not be solved
> with the structured editor like supporting different sofa types and
> reusing the code in eclipse based cas tools.

Usually, the structured editor uses Sections, and Pages to group and
seperate to information to be displayed. I don't understand how the
"multiple views" can have a better support for different sofa types. For
example, if the type is text and the sofa type is image, the section that
displays the text will display the image. If there is a type that the tool
cannot understand/display, that section will not be shown or empty.

> Here an example:
> The student Marco Nehmeier told us that he has written a tool to view and
> annotate html with eclipse his task would have been easier if he could
> have just reused our views for cas specific things other than displaying
> the html with annotations.

I think the issue here is how and what we mean "share the code". For me,
there are  two levels to share the code:
 - Level-1: sharing UI classes (corresponding to Eclipse's
Control/Composite)
 - Level-2: sharing UI classes and their containers (corresponding to
Eclipse's Section, Page, Editor, View, etc)
I think the Level-1 is the most flexible way since it allows different tools
to have its own way how to display the content. Some tools may use Section
as the container (e.g., CAS Viewer) and others may use View (e.g., CAS
Edtior).

Marco Nehmeier prefers to have the sharing at Level-2. With Eclipse, this
can be done
easily based on the Level-1 sharing.

> In my opinion there is not a big difference anyway between showing
> the CAS in a structured editor or in its own perspective with multiple
> views,
> but the second way has a significant advantage about the first one.

I think we need some use-cases to understand the benefits before we decide
which way to go.

> We can share and reuse our code.

Agree. I prefer the two-level approach of sharing as I described above
(also, based on how other internal tools embedded the CAS Viewer).

> The advantage we have if we work
> together on new features outweigh the advantage of viewing text based
> CAS a little faster without switching perspective.

Agree. That is why I have the tendency not to use a different "persepective"
unless we have a strong requirements.

BTW, the user
> can just open a CAS Viewing editor in the java perspetive and inspect
> it with only the Outline view. This will be enough for some task,
> for deeper inspection he can than switch.

Yes, "quick inspection" is a good idea. In Eclipse, Outline view has a
well-defined behavior.  We may need our own view. In some cases, "quick
view" (a pop-up view) may be good enough.

BTW, I think we should start to summarize the issues and list the
opinions/suggestions so far.