uima-dev mailing list archives

From Eddie Epstein <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: small memory footprint tradeoff configuration
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:05:12 GMT
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Adam Lally <alally@alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

>> One user scenario that motivated this thread was that an aggregate designer
>> knew exactly when they wanted to do GC. What is wrong with giving them
>> a CAS method to call?
>>

> Where would they call this method from?  An aggregate designer would
> just write a descriptor, not code.  I suppose they could stick in a
> "GC annotator" that does nothing but call the GC method, but this
> seems like a hack.

OK. Another problem with a GC call is that FS handles within that
component could
be broken, so better not to allow that possibility.

> Can this be handled with configuration?  I think somebody suggested
> something like this already, but I can't find the quote right now.

The quote is from DJ, I think.

> One of the GC configuration options would be to specify that a GC
> should always occur after a particular delegate AE has finished (or
> that GC should occur after that AE finished, if the heap size is also
> above a certain threshold).

Tong put a proposal in
http://cwiki.apache.org/UIMA/improving-uima-debug-capabilities.html
which includes an "operational descriptor" to control runtime behaviors.
Maybe that would be useful for controlling GC.

Eddie