uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: uimaj-ep-runtime depends on eclipse
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:49:47 GMT
Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to deploy our uimaj-eg-runtime bundle in a spring dm-server,
> but that did not works well because of the EMF dependency.
> The EMF guys say it is possible to run EMF standalone with
> 4 jars, but that does not work in an OSGI environment,
> because the necessary EMF bundles depend on org.eclipse.core.runtime
> which again has many dependencies.
>
> For me this would mean that I have to install half of eclipse to
> get the uimaj-ep-runtime bundle deployed to a spring dm-server.
>
> I checked the code and we have a dependency in the core
> in package org.apache.uima.ecore. It contains utils
> which are used by the examples.
>
> In my opinion we should move the classes out of the core
> over to the examples, because we usually do not say that
> EMF is a necessary dependency for the core.
> In the examples it is explained which dependencies are
> required.

+1.  When we originally created the Eclipse plugins, I
guess nobody thought we might deploy these in a non-Eclipse
OSGI runtime.  So nobody gave the EMF dependencies a second
thought.  Times change, and I agree that nowadays, it makes
sense to have a core UIMA OSGI bundle that can be deployed
in Eclipse, but that doesn't have any dependencies on
Eclipse so it can be deployed in a plain OSGI runtime as
well.

> But then again our runtime plugin contains the examples,
> we would have to remove the examples from the runtime
> plugin to make it work.

Why not move the examples to a separate plugin?  This would
then be an Eclipse-only plugin.

--Thilo