uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject uimaj-ep-runtime depends on eclipse
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:41:09 GMT
Hi,

I tried to deploy our uimaj-eg-runtime bundle in a spring dm-server,
but that did not works well because of the EMF dependency.
The EMF guys say it is possible to run EMF standalone with
4 jars, but that does not work in an OSGI environment,
because the necessary EMF bundles depend on org.eclipse.core.runtime
which again has many dependencies.

For me this would mean that I have to install half of eclipse to
get the uimaj-ep-runtime bundle deployed to a spring dm-server.

I checked the code and we have a dependency in the core
in package org.apache.uima.ecore. It contains utils
which are used by the examples.

In my opinion we should move the classes out of the core
over to the examples, because we usually do not say that
EMF is a necessary dependency for the core.
In the examples it is explained which dependencies are
required.

But then again our runtime plugin contains the examples,
we would have to remove the examples from the runtime
plugin to make it work.

Another solution could be to just remove the imports from
the runtime plugin manifest.

Jörn