uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Building the eclipse update site
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 07:17:19 GMT
Thilo Goetz wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I was trying to follow up on Burn's comments on
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-1326
>>
>> So I tried to build the eclipse update site to
>> be able to (easily) install our eclipse plugins.
>> I tried to follow the instructions on our web
>> site, but I was unable to find the feature jars
>> I'm supposed to copy.  Where are those supposed
>> to end up at?  Thanks.
>>
>> --Thilo
>
> After some trial and error, I figured this out on
> my own.  The instructions are slightly wrong, as
> the feature jars do not need to be copied, they
> are actually generated during the ant build.  What
> also threw me was that the ant build was complaining
> I should be setting up and using a *maven* profile
> with an eclipse.home property set.  I tried that,
> and it didn't do anything for me, while simply
> defining an ant property worked fine.  So I'll be
> fixing those instructions.
>
> --Thilo

I feel a little weird talking to myself here.  If
anybody has any advice for me, let me know...

So I can build the eclipse update site, the features
install into an eclipse, but they don't work.  I
get a bunch of errors, independent of the eclipse
version.  At first I thought I was using too new an
eclipse, but I went from 3.5 via 3.4.2 back to 3.3,
still the same problem.  I'm not going to put the
whole log file in this email, I don't see the point.
I think I'm still doing something wrong with the
update site build, but I have no idea what it is.

I have tried looking into those issues, but I'm a
little puzzled by our whole eclipse plugin setup.
The plugins are done in a way that looks very odd
to me, but that may just be my lack of experience.
None of the plugins (except for the cas editor)
has a proper manifest.  They don't declare their
dependencies, nor what they export.  The dependency
management seems to be done in the features, where
it needs to be done by hand.  Can anybody confirm
or refute this?

My understanding of how this should be done in eclipse
is that the individual plugins maintain their
dependencies in their manifest/plugin.xml.  The
dependency list of the feature is computed automatically
from the dependencies of the plugins.

Despite all this, I'm able to run our plugins from
eclipse.  Everything seems to be working normally.
I get a small number of plugin-not-found warings at
startup, and continuous JDOM warnings throughout,
but that doesn't seem to affect functionality.

So I'm back to my original question: how do I build
the update site so the result actually works?

--Thilo