uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Building the eclipse update site
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2009 14:25:17 GMT

Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>
>> Thilo Goetz wrote:

>>> I have tried looking into those issues, but I'm a
>>> little puzzled by our whole eclipse plugin setup.
>>> The plugins are done in a way that looks very odd
>>> to me, but that may just be my lack of experience.
>>> None of the plugins (except for the cas editor)
>>> has a proper manifest.  They don't declare their
>>> dependencies, nor what they export.  The dependency
>>> management seems to be done in the features, where
>>> it needs to be done by hand.  Can anybody confirm
>>> or refute this?
>>>

>> The plugins are built by the org.apache.felix project's
>> maven-bundle-plugin.  The doc for how this plugin works is here:
>> (Darn - apache.org is down, so I can't confirm these urls, but here they
>> are anyway)
>> http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html
>> (type org.apache.felix maven bundle    into google)
>>
>> What is supposed to happen is that the "instructions" in the maven
>> configuration create the manifest.
>>
>> If this isn't happening, then something's amiss with this process.
>>

> Marshall,
>
> at what stage of the build process is that supposed
> to happen?

It happens when you run the normal mvn install, either on the specific
plugin, or on one of the upper level POMs which includes the plugins as
subprojects.

I did find a significant omission in the instructions.  After the normal
maven build process to produce the jars, and the manual copying of the
to-be-released versions of the jars to the uimaj-eclipse-update-site
project "plugins" folder, you need to edit the uimaj-eclipse-update-site
project's "site.xml" file, and "add" (don't modify) stanzas for the new
version.  This means adding lines like:

   <feature
url="features/org.apache.uima.tools_2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar"
id="org.apache.uima.tools" version="2.2.2.incubating">
      <category name="uima-tooling-and-runtimes"/>
   </feature>
   <feature
url="features/org.apache.uima.runtime_2.3.0.incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar"
id="org.apache.uima.runtime" version="2.2.2.incubating">
      <category name="uima-tooling-and-runtimes"/>
   </feature>

After I added these, I get build errors.  Investigating .. more to come...

-Marshall