uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Building the eclipse update site
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:09:23 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> At this point, the build procedure is:
>
> 1) run the build.xml in the uimaj-eclipse-update-site project with the
> target set to build-features. You can do this in Eclipse by right
> clicking the build.xml file and picking Run-As Ant-build ...
>
> 2) copy the features built here into the same project's top level
> features folder
>
> 3) run the build.xml with the "all" target to build the updatesite
>
> The reason for this convolution: as I recall, this was done to provide
> some committer-intentional action when putting things into the top level
> features folder - things put there should be release-approved things
> that have been voted out (of course, excepting all this "testing").
> This I think is why we want a better build method that builds the
> feature jars - so they can be part of the set of files reviewed and
> voted on for the release.

I don't remember the history of this, but it seems to
me we can just create the update site, zip it up and
submit it for the release review just like the other
artifacts we create.  People who want to try it out
can install directly from the zip file, eclipse had
support for this at least back in 3.4, if not earlier.

Anybody know of any reasons why we shouldn't do this?

--Thilo