uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven build problem
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 18:28:30 GMT
Tong Fin wrote:
> I really wonder if we're doing ourselves a favor by using
>
>> maven for the eclipse plugin and eclipse update site builds.
>> In eclipse we have all the tooling that we need at our
>> disposal.  We could maintain the plugin dependencies in the
>> manifest files, where they belong.
>>

> I completely agree with this concern.
> It looks like we are over done in this area and trying to shoot a moving
> target.
>
> For example, some time ago, some users have the problem to attach the source
> code with the plugin and there is no easy solution. Different versions of
> Eclipse have different way to build the source code and the recently
> released Eclipse 3.5 has a new way to build the "source" plug-in.
> This is just one of the example that we have to deal with multiple versions
> of Eclipse and try to catch up what Eclipse can do with "maven".
>
> I feel that we and the users have more problems than the benefits that  we
> get by having a "single" tool "maven" to build everything.
Yes but the eclipse headless build is even worse then what we have now.
The Cas Editor RCP version was built for 2.2.2 with the eclipse generated
ant build scripts and it always broke when something changed a little.
These eclipse build scripts are like a black box which magically transforms
the source into the binaries, but if something goes wrong you don't get
valuable
error messages (or I was not smart enough to understand them).
Since the maven build is now working better and better I think we should
stay there.

Jörn