uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document collections [was: Re: Building the eclipse update site]
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:51:19 GMT
Thilo Goetz wrote:
> Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>
>> Thilo Goetz wrote:

>>> +1, couldn't agree more.  In fact, I would like to integrate
>>> the CAS editor into our tooling, that would be a good test
>>> case how independent it is.  I don't know when I'll get around
>>> to playing with that, but it's definitely on my to do list.
>>>

>> Ok, then lets split the Cas Editor into the editing part and project
>> model. For the project model part we have to create a new eclipse
>> project, e.g. uimaj-ep-base. The remaining Cas Editor should be independent
>> of the project model which means uimaj-ep-base depends on the Cas Editor
>> (to add the
>> document provider extension to it).
>>
>> After we are done with that, we can look into uimaj-ep-base and see how
>> it fits our needs
>> and how it can be used by the other eclipse based tooling.
>>
>> Jörn
>>

> +1, that would be great.  I would like to be able to use
> the CAS Editor sometimes not to edit CASes, but to simply
> display them.  For example, you could imagine some Eclipse
> tooling that runs UIMA analysis and displays the results
> in the CAS Editor, without first materializing the CAS on
> disk.  So with your proposed changes, I should be able to
> do that, right?

That is already possible. You must implement your own
CAS provider which knows how to get the CAS object
and config settings from your tooling.

The proposed changes would move the project model out
of the Cas Editor into a new project with the advantage that
it can be used by other tooling too. Like an analysis engine launcher
which needs a document collection to run the AE or a PEAR
runner.

Jörn