uima-dev mailing list archives

From Tong Fin <tong.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maven build problem
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 16:59:21 GMT
I really wonder if we're doing ourselves a favor by using
> maven for the eclipse plugin and eclipse update site builds.
> In eclipse we have all the tooling that we need at our
> disposal.  We could maintain the plugin dependencies in the
> manifest files, where they belong.

I completely agree with this concern.
It looks like we are over done in this area and trying to shoot a moving
target.

For example, some time ago, some users have the problem to attach the source
code with the plugin and there is no easy solution. Different versions of
Eclipse have different way to build the source code and the recently
released Eclipse 3.5 has a new way to build the "source" plug-in.
This is just one of the example that we have to deal with multiple versions
of Eclipse and try to catch up what Eclipse can do with "maven".

I feel that we and the users have more problems than the benefits that  we
get by having a "single" tool "maven" to build everything.

-- Tong