uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Generification of FSIndex
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:51:38 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>
>> Marshall Schor wrote:
>>
>>> OK - sounds like this won't be on the fix list for 2.3.0 ;-)
>>> And, given the value of being able to do this in selected cases, it
>>> doesn't sound right, either, to change the arguments to find, moveTo,
>>> etc from FeatureStructure.
>>> So let's leave this as is.
>>>
>> I created a jira issue to change moveTo back to FeatureStructure
>> argument,
>> it was not changed yet because I misunderstood you.
>>
>> Which other methods are you referring to ?
>>

> The other methods that take a FeatureStructure for purposes of
> specifying a location in an index:
>
> For these, I'm not sure if the test for equality includes testing that
> the "types" are the same, or just is testing (for sorted and set
> indexes) that the declared "keys" are "equal".
>
> The methods are:
>
> contains
> find
> compare (although the javadoc says the result is undefined if the FS's
> are not of the type of the index, but I wonder if that's checked?)
> iterator(fs)

Here are the declarations of these methods:

boolean contains(FeatureStructure fs);
FeatureStructure find(FeatureStructure fs);
Maybe we should return T here ?

FeatureStructure find(FeatureStructure fs);
I think it makes sense to return a FS of type T here.

int compare(FeatureStructure fs1, FeatureStructure fs2);
If we use T here, it would enforce the API specification a little,
because at least the java type must match.

Jörn