uima-dev mailing list archives

From Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r808996 - /incubator/uima/uimaj/trunk/uimaj-bootstrap/
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 15:36:34 GMT
Burn Lewis wrote:
> We have a very long list of jars in setUimaClassPath largely because we are
> uncertain how many ActiveMQ jars to include ... currently we specify only 14
> of the 31 that AMQ loads.  And one of ours is wrong as we specify
> commons-collections-3.1.jar while the library has
> commons-collections-2.1.jar ... which causes an apparently innocuous message
> that is usually suppressed:
>
> 8/28/09 3:49:54 PM - 0: org.springframework.util.ClassUtils.isPresent: FINE:
> Class [org.apache.commons.collections.map.LinkedMap] or one of its
> dependencies is not present: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.commons.collections.map.LinkedMap
>
> I was hoping that using a jar loader would avoid such mistakes, and also
> make it easier for users to switch ActiveMQ versions by merely renaming the
> parent directory.  We could perhaps use AMQ's run.jar for these uima-as
> scripts and load everything that their scripts load.  If there are some uima
> jars that should not be loaded perhaps they should be in an optional
> directory.
>
> -Burn

That's up to you of course.  It has been my experience
that manually maintaining your startup scripts may be
painful, but it costs less time in the long run.  Loads
of fun when these sorts of problems crop up on a customer's
machine that you don't have access to and you need to
remote debug what the issue might be.  It's a different
story if this is just for yourself and you always have
a developer next door who can help you out.

--Thilo