uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aligning the Cas Editor nature name
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 18:41:20 GMT
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Should the "nature" for enabling the Cas Editor,
> <nature>org.apache.uima.caseditor.NLPProject</nature> be better
> specified as org.apache.uima.CasEditor?

That would break backward compatibility and since
I planned to completely refactor/rewrite the project model code
I would prefer to rename it then after the 2.3.0 release.
> Here's my thinking:  UIMA in general is used for "unstructured
> information" - which may be text / language related, or may be other
> kinds of things, such as image data, audio recordings, etc., not related
> to "NLP" - Natural Language Processing.  The Cas Editor (I think) is
> able to look at and edit CASes that may have nothing to do with Natural
> Language Processing (is this right?).

Yes, I planned to add support for other SOFA types than plain/text
e.g. for images. Image support together with multi SOFA support could
be used to inspect/display a CAS which contains a scanned page as image
and the OCRed text.

Jörn