uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: Cas Editor Eclipse naming
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 02:22:51 GMT

Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
>> I was testing the Cas Editor plugin, as a new naive user.
>>
>> There is nothing in the documentation that says to create one or more
>> new projects, of a special type, for use by the Cas Editor - so I was
>> trying to use a plain Java project, and of course, nothing was working.
>>
>> Part of the problem is that the label for the Cas Editor things in
>> Eclipse is "NLP".  I did not recognize or associate that with either
>> UIMA or the Cas Editor.  (So, for instance, if you say in Eclipse, menu
>> -> file -> new -> other you get a pick list with lots of things,
>> including one labeled "NLP".  Same with menu -> window - show view ->
>> other   same NLP entry.)
>>
>> I think we should rename this categorization tag to something that uses
>> the words Uima, and CasEditor - maybe it should be a 2 level
>> categorization, the top one being UIMA (which already exists, and is
>> used by the Component Descriptor Editor), and a then "CasEditor".
>>
>> WDYT?  (What do you think)?
>>
> You are right Marshall, they should be renamed to something
> which is appropriate now, the naming is a left over from the first
> days of the Cas Editor.
>
> The reason they were not renamed yet for the 2.3.0 release is
> that we should start a bigger refactoring effort to remove the project
> model from the Cas Editor plugin and create a new plugin based on it
> which helps users developing UIMA applications. A while
> back we decided to do this after the 2.3.0 release.
>
> Changing the names is not a big deal, but we should take into account
> that they
> might be changed again for the release after 2.3.0.
>
> +1 for the naming you suggested.
If it's quick to do, maybe we should rename this for the 2.3.0 release.
In any case, I think we need a paragraph in the documentation at the
beginning to tell the user he needs to create a Cas Editor project using
the wizard, before he can use the Cas Editor - that it only works in
that context.

-Marshall