uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Staging area for website changes
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 13:05:50 GMT
Most website systems have a CMS (Content Management System) to allow
staging of changes, review, and making the changes go live, with some
automation.

Apache is considering such a system (from Day software) but it isn't yet
available.

I'd like to have something where we could do some testing and evaluation
of new stuff before it goes live.  I'm thinking of using a convention of
uima.apache.org/staging root to do this.  The site:deploy goal would put
things here, and after review, we would move things to the official spots.

We could put an "index.html" under this that says this is a staging
area, should not be "linked" to, and that information here is not
officially approved and is subject to frequent change.

Another alternative: Maven uses a somewhat different convention: they
have for each plugin, for instance, a staging area that is named
maven.apache.org/plugins/abc-plugin-1.2.1  - that is, they append the
version number to the subproject's top level name.

Do either of these seem like a reasonable approach for now, until
something better comes along?  My leaning at this point is to the
simpler first alternative, above.

-Marshall