uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: a few uimaj jars now in SNAPSHOT repo
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 13:51:11 GMT

On 6/3/2010 3:20 AM, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> Hi Marshall,
> I was just writing an email about that :) I was reading past (email)
> documentation regarding whole building procedure [1] so I wondered if we can
> get also other UIMA artifacts (whole uimaj, uima-as and sandbox) to such a
> repo and how can we do it (in more detail).

Once you set up your workstation with the right things to use "mvn
deploy", it's as easy as doing mvn deploy :-).

> As you said and reading [2] with Hudson we could get this automatically (in
> Apache Clerezza we also have this automatic deploy of snapshots) but at the
> moment I don't know who can deploy UIMA artifacts to SNAPSHOT and how.

Any committer can deploy, as far as I know.  You do have to follow the
instructions posted earlier, in getting a repository login, I believe.
> One reason for this is also to permit other Apache projects to "use" UIMA
> artifacts without having to specify m2-incubating-repository [3] which is
> considered external (and consequently problematic for releasing purpose).

We have to remember that "Snapshots" are temporary, and infra has been
known to "clean up" snapshots by deleting *all* of them.  They are to be
used for testing etc., during development, only, because they haven't
been voted on, etc.

Once we "release", then, sure, other projects could easily depend on the
jars we release.  The plan (as I have imagined it) is to deploy all the
jars (and poms) to the repo as part of the release process; they would
then be uploaded to maven central.

In addition, we would still do assemblies of things for uimaj, uima-as,
uima-cpp.  I'm thinking that for add-ons, we would release those
separately, individually.

Cheers. -Marshall