uima-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Lally <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: possible speed-up in releasing the rest of the build artifacts
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:37:16 GMT
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

>  I would like to propose the following, with the intent of speeding up the
> release of the build artifacts.
> <snip/>

What about doing it this way:

>  Update refs to A to release version of A, in trunk (before release vote)
>  Update settings.xml staged-release profile to ref SD-A
>
>  Stage B (release:perform -Pstaged-release) to NEXUS staging repo "SD-B"
> (no
> vote yet)
>  Update refs to B to release version of B, in trunk (before release vote)
>  Update settings.xml staged-release profile to ref SD-A, and SD-B
>
>  Stage C (release:perform -Pstaged-release) to NEXUS staging repo "SD-C"
> (no
> vote yet)
>  Update refs to C to release version of C, in trunk (before release vote)
>  Update settings.xml staged-release profile to ref SD-A, and SD-B, SD-C
>
> Call for a release vote on A, B, and C together

+1.  I think I was trying to suggest something along these lines in a JIRA
comment at some point, but maybe didn't have the specific implementation
details all correct.

I would be in favor of minimizing the time during which trunk won't build,
though.  If no issues were encountered, it seems like A, B, and C could all
be done in sequence all at one time, and then the final vote be called, so
the only time trunk won't build is basically while the final release vote is
in progress.  If issues were found that would significantly delay the
process, I would be in favor of then reverting trunk to a state that would
build.

-Adam