uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject Re: working on a significant re-write of the result specification impl
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:33:28 GMT
 Eddie's post provided motivation for me to actually write test cases :-)

Here's a couple of things that the current impl may not do correctly:

* There is serialization and deserialization available for the
ResultSpecification.  A remote component may get this information (I didn't
check our impl to see if this is being sent now).  However, the serialization
only supports the part of the result specification associated with no language
(or x-unspecified); language specific information is missing.

For the rest of this note, assume
  typeXXX, typeZZZ subtype of typeXXX
  typeXXX:featYYY is a feature introduced in the upper typeXXX,
                  and available (via inheritance of features) in the subtype typeZZZ

* The result specification may have typeXXX:featYYY.  Since typeZZZ is a subtype
of typeXXX, it contains (via inheritance) featYYY.  So, it would seem that
containsFeature(typeYYY:FeatYYY) should return true.  However it currently
returns false.  It seems to me that it should return true, analogous to this
similar case involving just types:

  typeXXX in the result specification,
  containsType(TypeZZZ) is true (because it's a subtype; this is how it is
working in the current impl).

Other opinions?

In the reverse direction:
  typeZZZ:featYYY in result specification,
  containsFeature(typeXXX:featYYY) returns false in the current impl.

Is this correct?  The argument for returning false would be that the result
specification is asking for featYYY on typeZZZ (and subtypes of it), but not on
any supertypes of typeZZZ which have that feature.  The argument for returning
true is that the feature is independent of how it is "spelled"; e.g., the
feature named typeXXX:featYYY is identical with the one named typeZZZ:featYYY.

-Marshall