uima-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Lally <ala...@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject Re: Feedback requested on build approach and tooling
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 21:22:14 GMT
On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Marshall Schor <msa@schor.com> wrote:

> Please post feedback on this build process - is this a good direction, and
> whether or not you are able to do builds!

I like some things about Maven, but the experience of using it has
definitely been frustrating.  Any time you try to do something out of the
ordinary, it is a real struggle.  I remember experiencing that frustration
when we first migrated out build to Maven, and now I've been seeing Marshall
go through it again.

However, our previous build process wasn't so great either.  Our ant scripts
had grown organically until they were a mess that wasn't maintainable.  And
without maven to automatically download dependencies like Eclipse jars, in
order to build UIMA you had to manually obtain Eclipse (and a particular
version of it, too) and a couple of other dependencies, which was a pain.

I think that I can work with what we have now, even if it's not ideal.  I
was able to do a build following the instructions, but it's very cumbersome
and I worry that it will discourage people from becoming involved in the
project.  Some of this should resolve itself in time.  Hopefully, it will
not be too long before the Maven beta is released and m2eclipse comes
packaged with it.  I didn't know that editing the docbook plugin was
optional, if I was willing to wait longer for a build.  If that's the case,
I'd be in favor of dropping this step entirely from the "one time setup"
page - the shorter the instructions on that page, the better.  The docbooks
don't need to be built all that often anyway.

 -Adam