uima-dev mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] uima sdk release - some changes to the "src" distribution?
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:55:00 GMT
 I did a diff of the prev. release against the new one, and found a couple of
small issues, which are being fixed; after that I think we're ready, except for
the following (comments/feedback appreciated).

Maven 3.0 is being voted on for release now.  So, if we wait 3 days (72 hours)
we can release using it, rather than 3.0-RC3.  (actually, these are the same, I
think).

Maven Release Plugin, version 2.1, is being voted on now; it has 17 issues fixed (

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11144&styleName=Html&version=12571

).  Some of these fixes look relevant.  So I think we should try this.

Finally, I'd like to discuss the "source release".  The release process
currently builds two "source release"s.  One is ours, the other is the standard,
maven-built one, which is more-or-less guaranteed to match an svn checkout.

Our source release does some special things:
1) it sets executable bits.  One might argue this is needed only in the /bin distr.
2) it copies stuff in uimaj-distr/src/main/readme to the "top level".  To avoid
this, we could move those files to the top level, so no copying would be
needed.  Files copied include the LICENSE/NOTICE, RELEASE_NOTES, README, and
some command scripts to manipulate the sources.

The custom src file adds a directory Eclipse, which has an Eclipse "launcher"
that runs the packageAllJavaSourcesIntoJar command.  This might be droppable,
because our releases will now have the java sources for each project "attached"
in the maven sense, so if m2eclipse is being used, the sources should be fetched
automatically when needed.

The custom src file is also missing the DEPENDENCIES file, and is also missing 2
of the 3 aggregate- projects.

I think our builds will be more standard and maintainable if we dropped our
custom build of the src release, and just used the standard Maven one.  To make
this go, though, I would also want to move things around in the uimaj-distr
project so they ended up in the right places, including any custom
LICENSE/NOTICE for the source.

What do others think?

-Marshall