uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Images in the tools docbook
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:17:55 GMT
  On 10/11/10 1:56 PM, Thilo Götz wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 13:17, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>>   The images are scaled nicely now in both versions, thanks to Marshalls
>> tip to use the width param instead of the scale param.
>>
>> I scanned trough the pdf and added width="5.7in" to all images
> Frankly, I think using absolute numbers as scale parameter
> is not a good idea.  For example, our default format for the
> PDF docs is "letter", a format that's not used in large parts
> of the world.  If you format the docs as A4 so you can properly
> print them in your neck of the woods, the page width is different.
>
> For html, it's usually a good idea not to scale the graphics at
> all, if necessary, this can be done by the browser.

Yes that is true, my browser did a good job scaling the images,
its just the pdf generator which cannot properly scale the images.
The two solutions we found up to now, are using the width
parameter or pre-scaling the image itself.

Both solutions have the fixed scaling issue. When I optimize with
pre-scaling for letter format and the current page layout, then it might
not look nice if something changes, e.g. its printed on A4 or additional
text is inserted.

I will try to experiment with the scalefit parameter, which tries to
scale the image as large as possible.

Jörn