uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solrcas questions
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 14:52:48 GMT
I am trying to understand why there is a cas element in the mapping file.

The documentation explains the it specifies the field in solr
which is used to map the value of JCas.toString(), but why should
anyone wants to do that? The documentation sample maps it to
the id field in solr.

Can JCas.toString be used as an id?
If I looked at the code correctly JCasImpl does not overwrite toString,
then simply Object.toString is called which produces a string based on
the object address. In one JVM two objects could have the same address
at two distinct points in time. Which would lead to identical ids for
different
documents.
Anyway  isn't the JCas instance reused? Then this will just be the same
string depending on the instance over and over again.

Jörn