uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: Multi CAS View support for the Cas Editor
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:50:05 GMT
  Hi all,

I would prefer the second option, but without the "Open With" action. I
for myself find it quite annoying to open xmiCAS with some sort of "Open
With", because if you just double-click to open, then you get the wrong
editor each other time.

The first option has only one advantage in my opinion and in my use
cases, namely that you can visualize the views of one CAS at the same
time. With editors for each view and several opened xmiCAS, Eclipse gets
crowded really fast.

I would propose a double Multi Page Editor. I've done that for my CEV
plugin, so I'm not at all objective here. You would have one tab for
each view and within that tab one tab for each editor. Here, the editors
themselves should to be capable to identify if the content of the view
is suitable for them. An example: an HTML visualization is added to the
editor tabs only if the content is text-based and contains HTML markup.

Besides that all, I would really like to contribute to the definition of
the API, if that is possible.

Best regards,

Peter

PS: About the TextMarker contribution: I still haven't got a response
from our legal department yet (after several attempts)

Am 31.03.2011 15:21, schrieb Jörn Kottmann:
> Hi all,
>
> the Cas Editor is missing support to open other views of
> a CAS than the default view. In some applications that is a serious
> limitation and makes the Cas Editor unsuitable to visualize those CASes.
>
> I would like to discuss how view support should be added to the Cas
> Editor.
> After looking through the code for a while and reading about eclipse
> it seems that we have the following options:
>
> 1. Open an editor per CAS view
> Each CAS view is opened in one editor. The opened editors can be of
> different
> kinds and show the view content, e.g. one editor might show an image of a
> scanned page, while a second editor shows the recognized text.
> Both editors need to be synchronized, changes made in the first editor
> might
> be visible in the second editor. When one editor is saved, the other
> editor is also
> saved. That might confuse users, but it seems that there is no good
> way to support
> the separate editing of multiple views, because cross view Feature
> Structures might
> exist.
> The solution is very flexible because the user can chose in which
> editor which view
> should be opened, e.g a text can be opened in the normal annotation
> editor or
> in an concordance editor, or in some editor which is specialized in
> viewing parse trees.
> It is also possible to open one view in two editors.
>
> 2. Multi Page Editors
> Each CAS view is shown in one tab of the Multi Page Editor. This solution
> is implemented by Tongs Cas Viewer Eclipse Plugin.
> In this scenario it might be difficult to choose the actual editor for
> one view,
> but that might be done via special "Open With" actions or an eclipse
> view which
> specifies which editor should show a CAS view.
> Opening a view more than once in two tabs might be confusing for a user.
> Saving follows normal eclipse conventions, compared to solution one.
>
> Are there more way of implementing multi view support in eclipse? I might
> have missed a good solution.
>
> As part of this work an API should be defined which makes it easy for
> users to extend
> the Cas Editor with custom editors, e.g. an html cas editor or a
> part-of-speech labeling cas editor.
>
> Any opinions on how we should implement it?
>
> Thanks,
> Jörn

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/