uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckar...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Configuration parameters (was Working on a new API to enable creation of UIMA AS deployment descriptors programmatically)
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:57:48 GMT
It sounds like this could easily be implemented as a post-processing step on an (aggregate)
descriptor.

1) load aggregate (descriptor) - AnalysisEngineDescriptor desc = ...
2) load properties - Properties config = ...
3) set configuration parameters in descriptor from values used in properties - applyConfiguration(desc,
properties);

Such a feature could then be integrated into an execution engine like the CPE or UIMA-AS.

Is that what you had in mind or did you think about a deeper integration into UIMA?

Cheers,

Richard

Am 05.04.2011 um 22:44 schrieb Eddie Epstein:

> We've also been discussing the need for a new mechanism to
> set configuration values outside of descriptors. A rough idea is
> to use Java properties with a notation that allows specification
> of a parameter value at any level in a nested aggregate.
>
> For example, a single property file specified at runtime could
> define all "non-default" parameter values in the aggregate.
> This mechanism would bypass the need to create override
> parameters for intermediate aggregates in order for a top
> level parameter to specify a parameter value for a delegate
> several layers below.
>
> Parameter overrides would still work, so that a single setting
> at an upper level could specify the value to use in multiple
> delegates.
>
> This approach would allow descriptors to become independent
> of "application" version changes due to parameter value changes.
>
> Eddie
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Jörn Kottmann <kottmann@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You can use uimaFIT factories for testing without using annotations and
>>> without introducing a runtime dependency on uimaFIT.
>>>
>>> You can use uimaFIT annotations and uimaFIT's context injection helper and
>>> still instantiate or run components in any manner you like. Your code will
>>> not notice the presence of uimaFIT at all. However, it becomes a
>>> runtime-dependency in this case. Since uimaFIT is licensed under Apache 2.0,
>>> it should be compatible with UIMA/UIMA-AS at that point.
>>>
>>> Does this address your concerns?
>>>
>> Yes mostly,  but I still believe that we should have support for defining
>> the configuration parameters and optionally injecting the
>> values inside the framework itself.
>>
>> Jörn

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
phone +49 (6151) 16-7477, fax -5455, room S2/02/E225
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de