uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Working on a new API to enable creation of UIMA AS deployment descriptors programmatically
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 16:02:42 GMT
On 4/5/11 5:38 PM, Jaroslaw Cwiklik wrote:
> UIMA AS extended test suite has become quite large. Each JUnit test requires
> one or more xml deployment descriptor to run. A lot of these static xml
> descriptors are the same except for a few config parameters that change
> error handling, scaleout, queue name, etc. There are about 200 xml files
> already and this list keeps growing. This is becoming annoying having to
> create static xml file for every test. Instead I propose creating a Factory
> object to enable each JUnit test to dynamically create and configure
> deployment descriptors it needs. I would use Apache XMLBeans to create xml
> backing java beans and factories which will be generated from UIMA AS
> deployment descriptor xml schema. I would provide a java wrapper around
> generated XML beans to simplify creation of primitive and aggregate
> deployment descriptors. Once this is in place, I would also like to get rid
> of about 200 of static UIMA AE xml descriptors used to instantiate and
> configure UIMA components. For this I would definitely use UimaFIT which
> provides factories and API to dynamically create and configure AE
> descriptors.
>
> Let me know if you have any comments.

In my opinion we should come up with a solution which allows specifying the
configurationParameters directly inside the AE implemenation, maybe via
Java Annotations or by API. Java Annotation could be combined with parameter
injection, making the implementation of AEs shorter and more reliable.

Anyway this would only make the xml descriptors shorter, the parameter
values would still need to be configured. Or generated as proposed.

Jörn