uima-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Sominsky <somin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CFE question
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 12:47:29 GMT
Jörn,

Yes, the features can be written back into CAS. Actually, the feature extraction is a 2 step
process. On the first step, the features are extracted from CAS according to FESL spec (the
feature values are strings in the format that is also specified by FESL) by an annotator engine
and stored in annotations of a specific type. On step 2 a task specific annotation engine
or CAS consumer accesses the pre-extracted features and processes them according to the task
requirements. In our applications we used different types of such consumers/annotators, one
of which output feature values to build models for machine learning and another used those
models to apply extracted features against these models for classification. I guess such an
approach fits your purposes if I understood your question correctly.

Let me know if further questions

Regards,
Igor