uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckar...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: How to deal with types which define allowed values?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:56:29 GMT
Am 06.06.2011 um 14:15 schrieb Jörn Kottmann:

> Shouldn't the call FeatureStructure.setStringFeature(...) fail if the
> new string value is not
> defined in the allowed values set?

That is an interesting question. In fact I believe that it should not because that can cause
trouble if somebody changes the TypeSystem retroactively.

> Anyway that is not an issue for me since the Cas Editor will restrict it to set only
allowed values.

The CAS Editor should gracefully deal with the case that the CAS contains a value that is
not currently allowed by the TypeSystem. It should not fail with an error, and it should allow
to open and close the drop-down without selecting a valid value.

I think such a behavior would be the most convenient for the users.

Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de