uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to deal with types which define allowed values?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 12:15:08 GMT
On 6/6/11 12:12 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the Cas Editor does not support types which have features which
> are restricted by allowedValues.
>
> It would be nice if I could get a little help to implement this
> correctly.
>
> The CAS defines methods to retrieve the value of a feature, in case it is
> a primitive feature the Cas Editor needs a method which retrieves the
> primitive feature as a "primitive" java Object (e.g. Integer, Boolean,
> String, etc.).
>
> The util method which does this, cannot deal with the case of
> allowedValues.
>
> org.apache.uima.caseditor.editor.util.Primitives.getPrimitiv(...)
>
> I believe it should test based on the primitive Type objects instead
> of the type name
> and check if the input type is equal or a subtype. Based on that it
> should be possible
> to call the CAS methods to retrieve the value.

I re-factored the Primitives class a little, and now all tests are done
on type objects
and noticed that it is possible to set a feature with a few allowed
values just to anything?

Shouldn't the call FeatureStructure.setStringFeature(...) fail if the
new string value is not
defined in the allowed values set?

Anyway that is not an issue for me since the Cas Editor will restrict it
to set only
allowed values.

> Is it possible to determine if a Type restricts the values via allowed
> values,
> and if so get a list of all allowed values? I would need both to
> create a combo
> box where a user can select a value out of the allowed values.
I will use the LowLevelTypeSystem for this as proposed by Richard.

Jörn