uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to deal with types which define allowed values?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:04:10 GMT
I think the idea of a type system is that all feature structures are
compliant to it.

If it says that a certain feature only can have two values, then that
should always be true.
In the case the user does not care he can simply remove the allowed
values from
the type definition.

Jörn

> Am 06.06.2011 um 14:15 schrieb Jörn Kottmann:
>
>> Shouldn't the call FeatureStructure.setStringFeature(...) fail if the
>> new string value is not
>> defined in the allowed values set?
> That is an interesting question. In fact I believe that it should not because that can
cause trouble if somebody changes the TypeSystem retroactively.

>> Anyway that is not an issue for me since the Cas Editor will restrict it to set only
allowed values.
> The CAS Editor should gracefully deal with the case that the CAS contains a value that
is not currently allowed by the TypeSystem. It should not fail with an error, and it should
allow to open and close the drop-down without selecting a valid value.