uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slight reorg of uima-website in svn
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 13:57:25 GMT
On 6/6/11 3:53 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
> I had to check out the uima-website to do some updating, and it took a very long
> time, because SVN is storing old versions of javadocs etc. from previous releases.
>
> It was done this way, previously, because that was how things were made
> available to our website (e.g., when our documentation html page links to the
> javadocs).  But we now have a better method for doing this, which bypasses the
> need to put "generated" stuff into SVN, like this (see
> http://uima.apache.org/release.html#Releasing ).
>
> So I propose deleting from svn ( yes, I know you can't really delete from SVN,
> but this would have the desired effect of hiding the stuff, so it wouldn't slow
> checkouts) the older versions of javadocs not linked anymore from our website.
>
> Any comments?

+1, in my opinion the website should always host the latest
version of the documentation. If a user needs to look at older
documentation he can simply look at the documentation shipped
in the distribution of that version.

That has also the side effect that people who google for help
with UIMA always end up in the latest documentation/javadoc.

Jörn