uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: anyone have experience with Tycho?
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:35:10 GMT
> There are two parts to Tycho:
>
> 1) the maven plugin that you add to the POM
> 2) the m2eclipse connector that you install in Eclipse
>
> The maven plugin allows maven resolves artifacts from a P2 repository in addition to
regular maven repositories.

> I am not completely sure what the m2eclipse connector does, though. I know that it is
able to detect that the uimaj-ep-* modules are PDE projects and generates a PDE nature into
the Eclipse .project file.  I am not sure how it handles artifact resolution within Eclipse,
e.g. does one use the "Plug-in Dependencies", the "Maven Dependencies" or  both. Last time
I tried tycho, I couldn't figure that out properly. My impression at the time was that m2eclipse
could not act as a resolver for dependencies in Eclipse for PDE projects. During my latest
experiments with UIMA, though, I temporarily had a state where I had both "Plug-in Dependencies"
and "Maven Dependencies" in a project and it seemed at least not to cause build errors.

> Some experimentation should help;)

Well, currently you also need to make sure all required plugins are
installed in your eclipse
installation to run the UIMA plugins. As far as I know that is also the
PDE way, eclipse does
not download any dependencies for you itself.

One thing I find a little annoying currently is, that I always need
maven to generate the MANIFEST.MF file
and that the PDE tooling for this cannot be used. I guess these things
will work better with Tycho.

Jörn