uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: UIMA and uimaFIT
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2011 12:33:21 GMT
  Am 15.09.2011 14:22, schrieb Jörn Kottmann:
> On 9/15/11 2:12 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>>  Yes, but I think the analysis engine builds upon uimaFIT then, so
>> TextMArker would actively using the library. My knowledge about
>> uimaFIT is yet minimal. I will see if that's the case when I actually
>> implement it.
>
> As far as I understand uimaFIT does mainly two different things. It
> can help an Analysis Engine implementation
> to easier access configuration parameters by injecting these, when you
> use this feature AEs can be used just as any other UIMA AEs.
> The second feature is a set of utils to instantiate UIMA components
> without xml descriptors, this is especially useful for testing,
> and as far as I know it is used by the UIMA-AS unit tests.
>
> In my opinion UIMA itself should support injecting of configuration
> parameters into AEs, because that simply is a feature
> which can be done better when it is done by the framework.

The injection part is of course the interesting one for me. What I've
seen is that all the (uimaFIT) analysis engines implement
org.uimafit.component.JCasAnnotator_ImplBase extends
org.apache.uima.analysis_component.JCasAnnotator_ImplBase introducing
uimaFIT code for the injection in the analysis engine:

ConfigurationParameterInitializer.initialize(this, context);
ExternalResourceInitializer.initialize(context, this);

Nevermind, I first need to take a closer look at uimaFIT before doing
anything.

Peter

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/