uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jaroslaw Cwiklik <uim...@gmail.com>
Subject JIRA UIMA-2217 breaks backwards compatibility
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 14:08:07 GMT
I've recently added a new feature (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2217) to the uima core to expose
AE state via AE managegement interface. The specific motivation was to be
able to detect when AE transitions from an Initializing to a Ready state and
to capture how long AE initializes. As part of this work, I've extended two
existing uima interfaces
org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.AnalysisEngineManagement.java and
AnalysisEngineManagementImplMBean.java with three new methods. It appears
that by extending these interfaces I may have broken backwards
compatibility. Marshall pointed out that an alternate approach is needed. It
was proposed to remove the three new methods I've added to the
AnalysisEngineManagement.java interface. The implementation of this
interface AnalysisEngineManagementImpl.java would retain the three new
methods and any code that needs to access them would need to use
(AnalysisEngineManagementImpl) cast. Actually, the code I've changed in
UIMAFramework.java already uses casting so no additional changes would be
required. To expose the AE state attributes via JMX I propose creating a new
interface which will extend AnalysisEngineManagementImplMBean.java
interface. All new methods would go to the new interface. The
AnalysisEngineManagementImpl.java will need to change to implement the new
interface instead of the AnalysisEngineManagementImplMBean. Please comment
if the above changes seem ok, or provide alternate approach(es). Thanks.

JC