uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jörn Kottmann <kottm...@gmail.com>
Subject Shown Annotation types in the Annotation Editor
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:23:55 GMT
Hi all,

the Cas Editors Annotation Editor uses a list of shown annotation types
to decide which annotation are displayed and which not. This list
can either be modified in the context menu of the editor or in a separate
view.

I got a little confused about the fact where I should store this
information.

The Cas Editor historically has "two" places to store such settings, one
is a
persistent store per type system (that used to be in the DotCorpus file) and
an in memory per type system session store (that is the
EditorAnnotationStatus object).

Currently the displayed annotation types are stored in the persistent
store, but I know
believe that the session store would be a better place to store it.
Because these are settings
which usually changed many times during a Cas Editor session and might
not be important
for the user to be saved to a persistent store. Saving data which
frequently changes in the
persistent store makes it more difficult for project teams to exchange
it e.g. via subversion,
because it just changes all the time for everyone.

Therefore I would like to move the displayed annotation types to the
session store,
any opinions about that? Currently the annotation editor stores there
the  "mode"
and last opened "view" information.

To work further towards a more common Cas Editor API I am planning to
use the eclipse
preference store to replace the dot corpus file, and the session
settings store.
This way also Cas Editor plugins are able to store settings in these two
type system
bound scopes.

Jörn