uima-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Klügl <pklu...@uni-wuerzburg.de>
Subject Re: Shown Annotation types in the Annotation Editor
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 11:17:11 GMT
  Hi,

normally I would argue for the preferences because in RCP application
that's the place for such stuff, I think.

However, this is counterproductive for many use cases. I don't think
that it is preferable to exchange the preference settings between users
that work on the same project. I would argue for a local file per type
system; Per type system since we cannot predict the usage of project by
the user (I also have many type systems per project). A local file with
the visualization settings can be shared with svn, but also can be
excluded.

We currently use the style map format of UIMA and name the xml files
like the type system (MyTypeSystemStyleMap.xml). If a CAS is opened with
a type system, then the editor searches for a corresponding style map
xml and applies that. As I see it, the style information there isn't
enough for the cas editor, but the overall approach is very suitable at
least for my use cases.

Another thing is that TextMarker can create the visualization settings
in a rule-based fashion and since the CEV plugin will be replaced by the
cas editor sometime I'd really like to see a compatible alternative:
something local that can be replaced without dependencies to the RCP
application.

Peter

Am 10.10.2011 11:23, schrieb Jörn Kottmann:
> Hi all,
>
> the Cas Editors Annotation Editor uses a list of shown annotation types
> to decide which annotation are displayed and which not. This list
> can either be modified in the context menu of the editor or in a separate
> view.
>
> I got a little confused about the fact where I should store this
> information.
>
> The Cas Editor historically has "two" places to store such settings,
> one is a
> persistent store per type system (that used to be in the DotCorpus
> file) and
> an in memory per type system session store (that is the
> EditorAnnotationStatus object).
>
> Currently the displayed annotation types are stored in the persistent
> store, but I know
> believe that the session store would be a better place to store it.
> Because these are settings
> which usually changed many times during a Cas Editor session and might
> not be important
> for the user to be saved to a persistent store. Saving data which
> frequently changes in the
> persistent store makes it more difficult for project teams to exchange
> it e.g. via subversion,
> because it just changes all the time for everyone.
>
> Therefore I would like to move the displayed annotation types to the
> session store,
> any opinions about that? Currently the annotation editor stores there
> the  "mode"
> and last opened "view" information.
>
> To work further towards a more common Cas Editor API I am planning to
> use the eclipse
> preference store to replace the dot corpus file, and the session
> settings store.
> This way also Cas Editor plugins are able to store settings in these
> two type system
> bound scopes.
>
> Jörn

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/