uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckar...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Shown Annotation types in the Annotation Editor
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 10:25:43 GMT
Hi Jörn,

as a user, I would prefer my settings to be persisted. If I do not want to share them with
colleagues, I can exclude them from SVN. We typically exclude the .settings folder as well
as .project and .classpath. But then again, we use Maven. For RCP projects, I would share
them.

For Run Configurations, Eclipse has a setting to share them (store in the project) or for
them to be private (store in the workspace) - per default they are provate. Maybe that would
be an option here as well?

When you say "per type system", I assume you mean "per project"? Imagine one uses the proposed
CAS Editor plugin which can resolve type systems from the Classpath of a Java project, then
the visible annotation types would be stored for that Java project, right?

Cheers,

Richard

Am 10.10.2011 um 11:23 schrieb Jörn Kottmann:

> Hi all,
>
> the Cas Editors Annotation Editor uses a list of shown annotation types
> to decide which annotation are displayed and which not. This list
> can either be modified in the context menu of the editor or in a separate
> view.
>
> I got a little confused about the fact where I should store this
> information.
>
> The Cas Editor historically has "two" places to store such settings, one
> is a
> persistent store per type system (that used to be in the DotCorpus file) and
> an in memory per type system session store (that is the
> EditorAnnotationStatus object).
>
> Currently the displayed annotation types are stored in the persistent
> store, but I know
> believe that the session store would be a better place to store it.
> Because these are settings
> which usually changed many times during a Cas Editor session and might
> not be important
> for the user to be saved to a persistent store. Saving data which
> frequently changes in the
> persistent store makes it more difficult for project teams to exchange
> it e.g. via subversion,
> because it just changes all the time for everyone.
>
> Therefore I would like to move the displayed annotation types to the
> session store,
> any opinions about that? Currently the annotation editor stores there
> the  "mode"
> and last opened "view" information.
>
> To work further towards a more common Cas Editor API I am planning to
> use the eclipse
> preference store to replace the dot corpus file, and the session
> settings store.
> This way also Cas Editor plugins are able to store settings in these two
> type system
> bound scopes.
>
> Jörn

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de