uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckar...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Shown Annotation types in the Annotation Editor
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:04:22 GMT

Am 10.10.2011 um 12:46 schrieb Jörn Kottmann:

> On 10/10/11 12:25 PM, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>> When you say "per type system", I assume you mean "per project"? Imagine one uses
the proposed CAS Editor plugin which can resolve type systems from the Classpath of a Java
project, then the visible annotation types would be stored for that Java project, right?

> No the scope is really per type system, and not per project, since a
> project can contain multiple type systems.
> The Cas Editor Ide Plugin creates a preference store file per type
> system, and then saves all related settings to this type
> system there. This is for example the styling settings of the
> annotations, project teams usually want to share this file.
> This will likely be extended with more settings, such as annotation type
> to key mappings.

What happens if a type is defined in multiple type systems?

> Do you suggest to only have a persistent per type system storage which
> stores all settings, or do you also believe that some
> settings should only be "remembered" per session.

For my, visibility preferences should not be per session - they should be persisted.

> Depending on the usage the per type system preferences might just be
> stored on a server, that is for example I am planning
> to do for the Cas Editor Corpus Server integration. Then a team will
> automatically share this settings file. Or should that
> better be local (not shared)?

For some scenarios it might make sense to share these preferences. In particular storing a
default configuration on the server would make sense. My feeling, though, is, that presentation
preferences (what views are visible, what is visible in the views, etc) is something which
a user would want to tune to his own style of working and to his own preferences - and that
different users will have different styles and preferences.

Best,

Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de