uima-dev mailing list archives

From Eddie Epstein <eaepst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UIMA and uimaFIT
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 23:08:05 GMT
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Richard Eckart de Castilho
<eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> In Darmstadt we completely rely on descriptors generated at runtime form the annotations
in the Java
> files and find that very very convenient. I understand others will prefer static XML
files to
> runtime-generated descriptors.

This is a common approach for users with complex systems with many
configuration parameters. However, for systems with many annotators,
and particularly deeply nested annotators, parameter overrides becomes
more of a problem and working with temporary descriptors is another
complication. This is why Adam has submitted a jira to allow a Java
property file to override parameters anywhere in such a system. All
the descriptors become more like code, they live in the classpath and
are all imported by name, and any parameter values are easily changed
via a single property file.

Another advantage for real descriptor files is scale out frameworks. I
don't understand how uimaFit will work in UIMA-AS or other scale out
frameworks.

Eddie