uima-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>
Subject Re: next release of UIMA base SDK
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 15:16:53 GMT
On 10/04/2011 04:12 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:

> Are there any users which need a bug fix or a feature in the next Cas
> Editor release?

One thing that would be interesting for us is better handling of
relations between annotations.  Right now it is very difficult to have
annotations that reference other annotations, e.g. for syntactic or
semantic relations between text segments.

We currently use Callisto (http://callisto.mitre.org/) for some
annotation tasks where we need such "chains", but would much prefer to
be able to do it in UIMA.

A special case of this are annotations that are used solely to relate
other annotations, but don't themselves correspond to a text segment
(maybe we should even derive from TOP instead of Annotation as "begin"
and "end" are not really meaningful). These would need to show up in a
list of annotations, even though they are not "in the text", and we
would need a way to add an annotation without selecting a text span.

Bye,
Jens