uima-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eckar...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: Testing the eclipse update site
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 20:09:40 GMT
I always tended to think that the tools probably have to include another copy of the runtime
since UIMA does not play too nicely with OSGi. I never quite understood why I would want to
install a "runtime" when I could actually run any AE from within Eclipse - mind that was before
there was the launcher plugin (which I still have to try out).

-- Richard

Am 05.12.2011 um 20:27 schrieb Marshall Schor:

> Well, my intent is to reduce confusion :-) So, I'm willing to change this.
>
> Can we hear from others re: what they feel is the least confusing way to label
> these?
>
> -Marshall
>
> On 12/5/2011 2:15 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>> On 12/5/11 4:30 PM, Marshall Schor wrote:
>>> The reason it is named with (includes Runtime) is to create an expectation that
>>> the user just has to check this box.  If we left off this phrase, users would
>>> likely wonder if they had to also check the Runtime.
>>>
>>> However, as you've noticed, it "just works" - whether or not the user checks
>>> UIMA Runtime, so in some sense, it doesn't really matter - other than to reduce
>>> some potential uncertainty in some users.  I guess I'd like to keep it as it
is,
>>> for that reason.
>>
>> This is not an eclipse convention and I wonder if this really reduces
>> uncertainty.
>>
>> I went to this site with the intention to install both the Runtime and Tools
>> plugins, now it made
>> me wonder for a moment if the Tools in some way include a different Runtime
>> than the one above.
>>
>> I then tried both and the dependencies on the next page made it clear to me
>> that it simply
>> means that Tools has a dependency on Runtime which is automatically resolved
>> for me,
>> since that is just expected behavior such a note can also be confusing.
>>
>> Jörn

Richard Eckart de Castilho

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de